I tried two new recipes this week that I thought would be easy enough to tweak to make healthier…
The sugar content in this one because of the BBQ sauce was a little high for my nutritional plan but after a little tweaking, Steve loved it!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast-cleaned
- 1/2 T Garlic Powder
- 1/2 T Pepper
- 1 T Onion Flakes
- 1 Cup BBQ Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Original)
- Whole Wheat Buns
- Homemade Red Pickled Onions (See recipe below…)
Put all ingredients except the last three in the Crock Pot for 3 hours on low heat. When fully tender shred chicken and add BBQ sauce. Cook on low heat one more hour. Serve with whole wheat buns or alone and top with picked onions! Raves!
I was a little concerned about the chicken being too dry but I flipped the breasts a couple of times during the process and they really created their own juice. Also, I increased all the spices and really loved the result.
You can find the original recipe here… http://www.budgetsavvydiva.com/2012/09/90149/
Below is Bobby Flay’s Red Pickled Onions Recipe from the Rachel Ray Show that I am trying this afternoon…
- 1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
Bring the vinegar, 1/4 cup water, the sugar and the salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
Put the onion in a medium bowl, pour the vinegar over, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days before serving.
I’ll be trying this with Stevia instead of sugar so that I can have some too! I’ll let you know how it goes!
Up next was Slow Cooker Jumbalaya from Skinny Ms….
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup jambalaya and 1/2 cup rice|Calories: 456| Previous Points: 9| Points Plus: 11| Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 101 | Sodium: 1125 mg | Carbohydrates: 50 g | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 8 g | Protein: 40 g |
- 2 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup homemade chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes ( I did not drain this but next time I will)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish (I never use this with recipes and it always still tastes yummy!)
Combine everything except the rice, and parsley in the slow cooker. Cook over low heat for 8 hours. Serve over rice with parsley for garnish!
The original recipe calls for shrimp but I did chicken only since shrimp is so pricey right now!
I probably would double the Cajun Seasoning and add a little more salt next time.
I used Slap Ya Mama Seasoning that I picked up in Texas…
You can also find this on Amazon 🙂
I’ll be posting more Trial and Error recipes next Sunday, as well as letting you know how the pickled onions turned out with Stevia!